Kirkland Memorial Scholarship
• Benefits economically disadvantaged schools
• Provides admission assistance to qualified schools as funds are available
• Assistance granted is up to a maximum of $500.00 per school per school year (Up to $5.00 per student, maximum 100 students)
• Any K-12 public or private school may apply
• Applications must be received by September 13, 2019 for the 2019-2020 school year
• Schools with proof of Title 1 status will be given preference
• Complete and submit the Kirkland Memorial Scholarship Online Application
• Provide documentation of the 2019-2020 student enrollment percentage of free and reduced lunch participants
• Funds are for park admission only and cannot be used for lunches, special attractions, or special exhibits
• The school is responsible for requesting a field trip through the online registration process and must follow all rules for field trips
• All complete requests will be considered, but not all requests will be fulfilled
• DPA will request a follow-up report about the benefits of the field trip to the students’ education
The administration here at Discovery Park of America realizes the benefits of learning opportunities that happen away from the schoolhouse. When students are excited and fully engaged, learning is natural. Situational learning that occurs on a field trip will be recalled during test times. Creativity and ambition can be fostered by experiences in galleries and gardens, and academic achievement can be enhanced by seeing items that can only be referred to or seen in photographs in the classroom. Our goal with this scholarship program is to grant more children the opportunity to visit Discovery Park of America and see the artifacts and buildings for themselves and to experience pieces of history and science that could help to shape their futures. Discovery Park of America is a 501(c)(3); funds for scholarships are from donors who specify this purpose, and we strive to honor these gifts.
You will receive an automated response saying that we received your application. If you do not, then there is a problem with the submission or our emails are going to your spam folder. School websites sometimes block emails; so please make sure your system will allow our emails to reach your inbox.
All applicants will be notified of scholarship awards by October 28, 2019.