Kirkland Memorial Scholarship
• Benefits economically disadvantaged schools wanting to schedule visits September 2019 through February 2020.
• Provides admission assistance to qualified schools as funds are available
• Any K-12 public or private school may apply for free admission for field trips scheduled between September 2019 and February 2020.
• Schools with proof of Title 1 status will be given preference
• Complete and submit the Kirkland Memorial Scholarship Online Application
• Provide documentation of the 2019-2020 student enrollment percentage of free and reduced lunch participants
• Funds are for park admission only and cannot be used for lunches, special attractions, or special exhibits
• The school is responsible for requesting a field trip through the online registration process and must follow all rules for field trips
• DPA will request a follow-up report about the benefits of the field trip to the students’ education
At Discovery Park of America we champion the benefits of learning opportunities that can happen on field trips. When students are excited and fully engaged, learning is natural. Situational learning that occurs on a field trip will be recalled during test times. Creativity and ambition can be fostered by experiences in galleries and gardens, and academic achievement can be enhanced by seeing items that can only be referred to or seen in photographs in the classroom. Our goal with this scholarship program is to grant more children the opportunity to visit Discovery Park of America and experience the museum and heritage park for themselves and to experience pieces of history and science that could help to shape their futures. Discovery Park of America is a 501(c)(3); we’re grateful to donors who fund the Kirkland Memorial Scholarship and make these visits possible.
You will receive an automated response saying that we received your application. If you do not, then there is a problem with the submission or our emails are going to your spam folder. School websites sometimes block emails; so please make sure your system will allow our emails to reach your inbox. Should you have a problem, feel free to call us at 731-885-5455.
All applicants will be notified of scholarship awards ASAP. All scholarships must be utilized between September 3, 2019 and February 28, 2020.