Discovery Park of America, located in Union City, Tenn., offers visitors a world-class educational and entertainment experience inside a 100,000-square-foot museum with exhibits focused on nature, science, technology, history and art, as well as an extensively-landscaped 50-acre heritage park.
The mission of Discovery Park of America, a premier world-class museum and 50-acre heritage park located in Union City, Tennessee, is to inspire children and adults to see beyond. Included is a 100,000-square-foot museum featuring 9 interactive exhibit galleries with additional space for temporary exhibits from around the world and a 50-acre heritage park. Discovery Park of America is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations including its principal funder, the Robert E. and Jenny D. Kirkland Foundation.
Discovery Center, Discovery Park of America’s 100,000-square-foot museum showcases ten exhibit galleries focused on topics like Native American history, the military, natural history, regional history, science, space technology, art, transportation and more. Guests experience:
- Theater simulation of the 1811-12 earthquakes that contributed to creating the beautiful landscape in this region
- 20,000-gallon aquarium revealing the underwater life of Reelfoot Lake
- Dinosaurs, fossils and prehistoric artifacts
- Military equipment, vintage automobiles and an actual Titan I missile ready to launch
- Interactive displays focused on science, technology, engineering and math – and dozens more hands-on experiences
- Unique state-of-the-art meeting spaces for groups ranging in size from 10 to thousands featuring gourmet southern meals prepared by Sabin’s Cafe catering
The 50-acre outdoor heritage park includes a man-made river flowing through the extensively-landscaped property, along with waterfalls, bridges and other water features. Guests experience:
- Reproduction of a turn-of-the-century town with a working gristmill, windmill and one-room school house
- Japanese, European and American gardens
- Authentic 120-year-old church
- Vintage train station and depot with locomotive, cars and caboose to explore inside and out
- Liberty Hall including a replica of the Liberty Bell
- One-of-a-kind, nature-inspired playground experience featuring a PlayOdyssey Tower, log steppers, log balance beams, hillside climbers, slides and a mini zip line
- Ag Center showcasing the agricultural traditions and heritage of this region
- Log cabins, farm buildings, equipment and family items providing a glimpse into rural life in the 1800s
Cooperation & Involvement
Discovery Park of America is a cooperative endeavor with the citizens of Union City, as well as Obion and surrounding counties. Hundreds of dedicated volunteers helped to plan each area of the venue. Local and state government also played an active role in the Park’s development.
Discovery Center was designed by noted Boston Museum architects Verner Johnson Inc. The exhibits were designed by Thinc Design, located in New York. Maltbie was the exhibit fabricator from New Jersey. Aquarium displays and systems were designed and installed by Tenji . The landscape was done by Richie Smith Associates from Memphis, Tennessee.