Discovery Park of America is filled with artifacts, replicas, history, science, art and more. Our mission is to inspire children and adults to see beyond, and we do so by sharing educational content online and throughout our museum.
We share weekly updates on anniversaries and significant moments in history, and where you can find items related to these dates through our museum and heritage park.
Regional History Gallery
- Nov. 20, 1936 (84th anniversary) – “Slingshot” Charlie Taylor, an Obion County native who was famous for his prowess with the slingshot, received his hunting and fishing license for just $2.00.
Science, Space and Technology Gallery
- Nov. 21, 1877 (143rd anniversary) – Thomas Edison announced his great invention—the phonograph—while working on a way to record telephone communication at his laboratory.
- Nov. 23, 1924 (96th anniversary) – Edwin Hubble’s discovery of nebulae beyond the Milky Way galaxy was published in the New York Times.
- Nov. 23, 1936 (84th anniversary) – The first issue of the pictorial magazine Life was published.
Natural History Gallery
- Nov. 24, 1859 (161st anniversary) – Charles Darwin’s Origin of Species that explores evolution and natural selection was published. It immediately sold out its initial print run and became one of the most influential books of modern time.
Children’s Exploration Gallery (Entry Level)
- Nov. 26, 1945 (75th anniversary) – The popular slinky toy was displayed at Gimbels Department Store in Philadelphia. The whole inventory of 400 was sold within 90 minutes.
- Nov. 26, 1941 (79th anniversary) – President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill officially establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day.